After Your Case Ends


Find the forms and support you need to help protect yourself even after your case ends.

Family Law Forms for Once a Case Ends in Arizona

There are many reasons one might need to file additional documents with the Arizona courts after a family law matter. From case amendments to appeals, find the paperwork you need for closed cases.


After Your Case Ends

Motion Altering or Amending a Judgment

Legal document by an aggrieved party requesting that a judge alter or amend a judgment or ruling.


Motion for Clarification

Legal document requesting that a judge clarify or correct a judgment, order, or ruling because it is unclear.


Motion for Relief from Judgment or Order

Legal document requesting relief from a judgment or order for a legally justified reason.


Notice of Appeal

Legal document providing notice that a party intends to appeal a final order or judgment. Must be filed within 30 days of the final order or judgment.



FAQs About Documents for Amending and Appealing Family Court Cases in AZ

Q: What Is the Best Way to Draft a Legal Document?

A: Creating a legal document can be a challenging process, even for legal experts. Each document must be thorough and error free, while also being as accurate as possible to the specific scenario you’re facing. The formatting of a legal document is extremely important—you must adhere to court-approved standards or risk your document being deemed illegitimate. It’s best to write using clear, concise language that also conveys an active tone.
You’ll also need to be direct; this way, you can avoid misunderstandings and confusion when referring to the document. Sufficient use of tags, headings, and other sorting methods will make things much easier to reference. Be certain that all necessary information is included, and that you are consistent in your referencing and descriptions. To help reduce misinterpretations and keep things as streamlined as possible, it’s best to secure the help of an experienced attorney.

Q: How Do I Get a Certified Document in Arizona?

A: Certified documents are an important aspect of any court case. Certification ensures that the document in question is either the original copy, or an approved official copy that has been examined by court officials. This certification does not guarantee the accuracy of the document, however, only that it is a non-altered copy or original version.

You can learn more about getting a document certified either online through the judicial branch of the state of Arizona’s official website, or by consulting with a paralegal or attorney. If you’re in need of certified legal docs in Phoenix, our attorneys can help you complete the process at a low cost. In fact, the cost of certifying documents is relatively low compared to other legal fees.

Q: Who Is Qualified to Serve Legal Papers In Arizona?

A: In Arizona, only a select group of people are legally permitted to serve court documents to a party. These include:

  • A sheriff
  • A sheriff’s deputy
  • A constable
  • A constable’s deputy
  • A private process server or any other special person appointed by the court

As a result, you cannot walk up to someone and hand them court papers, nor can you appoint a friend or family member to do so. Those serving legal papers must be a legal representative of the court, which constitutes documented evidence of the party officially receiving and acknowledging the papers. Once completed, the party now has a legal obligation to appear in court during their hearing.

Q: How Do I Appeal a Divorce in Arizona?

A: To appeal a divorce, it’s crucial that you first determine your reason for making an appeal. Depending whether you want a reversal of the initial decision, clarification of your legal responsibilities as a result of the case, or want to amend some provisions of the final order, there are different steps you should take. In Arizona, any appeal generally needs to happen within 30 days or less.

It’s recommended that you consult with a paralegal or an attorney during this process, as even a small mistake can cost you a great deal of time and money. In most cases, you can only appeal once, so it’s crucial to ensure you are completing the process properly the first time around. For those who need legal document help in Arizona, our team of experienced professionals are ready to assist you.

Q: How Long Do I Have After the Judge’s Decision to Appeal?

A: After you receive the final judgment of the court, you have 30 days to submit a notice of appeal. This cannot be an informal notification, but instead must be a formal legal document that notifies the court of your intent to challenge the original decision. It’s important to note that there must be a legal basis on which you are filing an appeal–you cannot file an appeal simply because you do not agree with the outcome.

We know that court decisions, especially regarding family matters, can be a very emotional and challenging time. However, filing without the proper grounds to do so can lead to a quick rejection from a higher court. You may also be held responsible for the other party’s legal fees in addition to your own.

Q: What is the Difference between Appealing or Amending my Case?

A: The process of appealing a case aims to overturn the original decision made by the judge. This option is used when you have sufficient evidence the judge made a mistake during the proceedings and wish to request that the court have a rehearing. An amendment to a case, however, is used to request a modification to a court order based on newly acquired evidence or a change in circumstances since the initial hearing.

Depending on the newly presented information, a rehearing may or may not be necessary. If not necessary, a successful amendment can alter current orders to more accurately reflect the present situation and conditions.

Q: What Documents Am I Allowed to File After My Case Ends?

A: There are a few different types of legal documents you can file after the judge’s decision has been made in your case. Your options are:
Notice of Appeal—This document is a formal notice that a party plans to appeal a final decision made in a case. This must be submitted within 30 days of a final order or judgment being given.

Motion for Altering or Amending a Judgment—This document requests that a judge re-examine and change a final decision or order made by the court.

Motion for Clarification—This document requests that a judge clarify a final decision, especially if that decision is open to multiple interpretations.
Motion for Relief From Judgment or Order—This document is a request for protection against a final decision.

Q: How Long Does The Appeal Process Take?

A: An accurate time frame for the appeal process can be very hard to predict, as each specific case has varying, unique elements that could delay proceedings. In addition, the caseload of the court assigned to review your case is another factor that will affect the timetable of your appeal. In best-case scenarios, it will take around a month for a ruling to be made on any appeal. Worst-case could mean months until a decision is made and changes are implemented. Keep in mind that a successful appeal will more than likely take more time to process than an unsuccessful one.


Whether you are just beginning your case or your case has already ended and you need to make modifications, we are here to help. Our services ensure that you have access to all the legal documents best suited to achieve your goals for your family law case and peace of mind knowing that those legal documents are filed correctly in compliance with state laws and court procedures.


    Once you have created an account with Draft My Legal Docs all of our legal documents can be purchased and completed online through our easy-to-use
    client portal. However, if you prefer to discuss your needs in further detail or would like to set up a free consultation, please call or fill out the form below
    to get started on all your legal document drafting, preparation, and filing needs.

    Get Free Consultation