Response or Reply to Opposing Party’s Pleadings

*Standard Pricing does not include court filing and filing fees, courier service fees, and process server fees (if any).



Best Value tbl


  • Attorney Drafted Document(s)
  • Notary Service
  • Unlimited Revisions
  • Unlimited Support
  • 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed


Best Deal tbl


Everything from Standard Option +

  • Rush Delivery (72-hour turnaround time)
  • Courier Service (if applicable)
  • Court Filing Fee (if applicable)
  • Filing with the Court (if applicable)
  • Notice and/or Service on Opposing Party

Court cases are not always simple and often require responses to be filed at each step of the process. This especially pertains to family court cases, like divorce, parenting time, and domestic violence disputes, which can take months or years to complete successfully. Filing the correct paperwork throughout your family court case is essential to ensuring that you get the best outcome.

During a difficult family law case, such as divorce or legal separation, the opposing party may file a pleading to detail their position in a case. They may also file a motion, which is a request for the court to take action on their case. You will be required to respond to these filings before the case can move forward. If this paperwork is not filed properly or in a timely manner, you may risk a negative outcome, like losing some of your property in an asset division or facing reduced time with your children.

Working with an experienced family law attorney can help provide you peace of mind and guide you through the process, but their services can also be costly. The team at Draft My Legal Docs is composed of experienced family law attorneys that can assist you at every stage of your case with less financial burden. We will help you draft and prepare your paperwork, ensure nothing is missing, and file it in a timely manner so your case can proceed. This assistance can be particularly helpful when you are filing a Response or Reply to the opposing party.

What Are Legal Response and Reply Pleadings?

A Response or Reply to the Opposing Party’s Pleadings is your answer to the opposing party’s document filed with the court. These documents could include a Petition for Dissolution of a Non-Covenant Marriage, a Motion for Clarification, or a Petition to Enforce. In nearly any family court case, you will have to respond to a filing, whether it is a petition, pleading, or Motion.

A Response is the initial answering document to a motion, which can play a key role in what happens with your case after it has been completed. If the opposing party is unhappy with a court decision, such as a parenting time or visitation agreement, they could file a Motion Altering or Amending a Judgment. When this happens, you must file a response with the courts if you wish to have a say in how the judgment is changed.

You may also face circumstances where you are the one who files a motion. For example, if the final judgment regarding how assets will be divided in your divorce case is not clear, you will have to file a Motion for Clarification and request that the judge explains the judgment more fully. The other party will file a Response, and, if necessary, you will file a Reply, which is the Response filed to a Response.

How Do These Filings Work?

When you are filing Petitions, Motions, Responses, or Replies in a court case, there is a very specific order that must be followed. Each filing serves a certain purpose and moves the case forward. A Motion, Response, and Reply are connected steps in a series of pleadings with the court.

For example:

First: Assume Party “A” is a parent who recently finalized a divorce and has the majority of the parenting time with their children. They may need to file a Motion Altering or Amending a Judgment because they got a new job and need to relocate.

Next: Party “B,” the other parent who has a parenting agreement in place with visitation rules, files a Response to the Motion. Their Response may include reasons that the child should not be relocated or requests to adjust the newly proposed parenting plan.

Last: Party “A” may file a Reply to Party “B’s” Response. They can provide evidence to support their decision to relocate with the children, such as having family closer in the new location so they will have support, a higher salary at the new job that allows them to improve their children’s lifestyle, or proof of higher quality schools in the new location.

A Response will address the Motion and provide the party’s position on the points raised in the Motion. This can include a rebuttal to issues of fact or law raised in the Motion. A Reply will address the points raised in the Response and provide the party’s position on the points raised in the Response. This can include a rebuttal to issues of fact or law raised in the Response. A Reply should only address points raised in the Response. A Reply is not a place to reargue the points made in the original Motion or to raise new issues.

This process may continue if any more motions or responses are filed. A judge will hear any new evidence and arguments presented before making a final decision about the case. If one parent is still unhappy with the outcome of the case, then they can file another motion.

Family law cases that involve several different motions and pleadings could carry on for months or even years. There are strict timing requirements as to when a Response or Reply may be filed. Failure to meet those timing requirements may result in the court granting the opposing party’s Motion and/or requests by default. It is important to have assistance from Draft My Legal Docs so you can understand the various steps of your case, follow the proper filing processes, and keep your case moving through the courts as quickly as possible.

Understanding Pleadings

All court cases begin when a pleading is filed by an individual who believes they have been wronged in some way. This could be a complaint, a Petition, or a bill depending on what type of case is being filed. In family court cases, a pleading may come in the form of a Petition for Dissolution of a Non-Covenant Marriage or a Petition to Establish where paternity or parenting time are concerned. This is arguably the most important part of a court case because it sets everything in motion.

The Purpose of Legal Pleadings

When a court case begins, a pleading is filed in some form, most often a petition if the case involves family court. This is when the plaintiff, or the person who believes they have been wronged, files their claim, either requesting damages or relief. The petition is their opportunity to lay out their version of events and detail what they think they should receive.

For cases establishing custody, this could include a parent establishing a pattern of neglect or abuse in order to remove their children from a dangerous parent. In a divorce case, this could be as simple as providing the identifying information in the correct petition and requesting an equitable division of assets. Pleadings often must also include the legal grounds that the individual has for making their claim and seeking relief or damages.

Understanding Family Law Legal Motions

The completion of a court case is not always a simple process. If one party disagrees with how the case is being handled, believes that the opposing party is intentionally delaying the case, or wants to have something changed, they may need to complete a separate filing. This is called a Motion.

Some common family law motions include a Motion for Protected Address, a Motion for Telephonic Appearance, or a Motion to Dismiss, along with many others. These filings are an opportunity to communicate with the courts and attempt to have an aspect of the case decided in your favor.

The Purpose of Legal Motions

A Motion is filed when one party in the case wants the court to take some type of action to move their case forward. In some instances, like a Motion for Summary Judgment or a Consent Decree, the Motion is intended to bring the case to an end. In other cases, like a Motion to Consolidate, one party may want to change how the case is being handled to streamline the process. Regardless of the reason for a Motion, the other party will have an opportunity to respond if they believe it is unfair or should not be upheld.

Why You May File a Motion After Your Case Ends

The end of a family court case does not always mean that all legal filings and documents are finished. After your case ends, there are several circumstances when you may need to file a Motion with the court after your case has concluded.

For example, if you need to change a parenting agreement, then you will have to file a Motion Altering or Amending a Judgment and await approval from a judge. Similarly, if there was a mistake with your case or false information provided by the opposing party that led to an unfair decision, you can file a Motion for Relief from Judgment or Order to have the decision reversed, and the case reheard. As with any Motion, these will likely require a response and an appearance before a judge before appropriate action can be determined.

Filing a Response or Reply

When the opposing party in any court case files a pleading or a Motion, you will have the opportunity to respond. This is no different in a family law case. In order to remain engaged with the case and have a say in how things proceed, you will need to file an official Response or Reply to Opposing Party’s Pleadings. This document will be your opportunity to respond to any incorrect or misleading information in the initial filing as well as offer up alternatives or compromises to any requests that were made. Completing and filing your legal documents, like a Response or Reply correctly, is essential as any incorrect paperwork could negatively impact your case.

Risks of Incorrect, Late, or Misfiled Paperwork

Legal proceedings typically follow very specific timelines, and deviating from them can derail a case. When you are involved in a family law case, it can be especially important that all your documentation and paperwork is in order and filed within the correct time; otherwise, you may face major personal, financial, and emotional consequences.

Here are some examples of how incorrect or missing paperwork can affect two common types of family law cases:

Divorce Cases

Making the decision to end a marriage is difficult, regardless of the relationship you have with your former partner. Ideally, the divorce proceedings will determine how to dissolve the marriage in a way that is fair and equitable to both parties. That requires both parties to discuss their requests and areas they are willing to compromise on throughout the process.

If the petitioner files a Petition for Dissolution and the respondent fails to respond to the initial filing within the allotted time, either because they missed the deadline or their paperwork was incorrect, then they risk having the case decided against them by default. That means that they will have no say in major decisions, like how assets and debt may be divided. In many cases where a Default Decree is filed, the outcome of the divorce will follow what was recommended by the filing party, so long as a judge determines that it is mostly fair.

Parenting Decision Cases

One of the most important decisions that must be made during a divorce is how parenting time, child support, and visitation will be allocated. This requires a parenting plan to be put in place either by the parents or by a judge if the parents cannot agree. That agreement will lay out how much child support will be paid each month, whether parenting time will be equal or given to one parent primarily, and who will have the legal standing to make decisions about any children.

When a parent does not respond to the necessary filings, such as a Parenting Plan or a Motion for Rule 12 Interview of Minor Child(ren), then they risk having no say in the division of parenting responsibilities. Worse, they risk losing the right to care for their children.

Trust Draft My Legal Docs for Family Law Services

Dealing with family court cases can be difficult and emotional, particularly if your case deals with the ending of a marriage or the care of children. Financial concerns over attorney’s fees can make an already stressful situation seem entirely overwhelming. The licensed attorneys at Draft My Legal Docs focus on ensuring our clients have the necessary resources to confidently navigate the court system.


We can provide legally sound guidance and Arizona family law services for the drafting, preparation, and filing of your court documents at a significantly lower cost.


Get Free Consultation